Pages

Monday, December 20, 2010

My Financial Situation...and stock notes today

I've been reading through many Singaporean investment bloggers. Many people, in their late 20s to early 30s, already have SGD 100k to SGD 300k investable liquid assets. I just turned 20 not long ago and I have...below 20k. Understandable, since I'm an NSF...

Unfortunately...this will dog me through to my early 30s, or even further. Why?

I'm going to England for University...after being rejected by a certain faculty in NUS.
It's going to cost me(read: parents) a bomb...In excess of SGD 300,000.
Obviously there has to be a ROI on that investment...
How long will I take to earn back 300k (with interest!)?

Looks like I'll be a low net worth individual (indeed, a negative net worth) for quite some time...
 

Back to stocks today:

-I was sorely tempted to pick up KeppelCorp warrants again this morning after they fell back to $0.325 (as KepCorp fell to $10.60). Decided not to, as TA tells me it isn't a good time, and also because I went out with my friends in the afternoon (just came back actually), and ANYTHING can happen...

-First REIT rose to $0.705, which kind of prices me out. I was (still am) looking to enter at $0.680.

-Dapai fell again to $0.190. Will probably buy some (5-7lots) before 4Q 2010 results come in early Jan.

-STI ETF fell to $3.20. Still too expensive for me. STI has formed a head and shoulders formation. Might see some downside. Will be in the sidelines for now.

9 comments:

  1. How do you track and measure your trading performance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I have an excel sheet I created myself showing gains, losses, turnover, brokerage fees paid etc.

    would you like to link blogs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Track performance indicators?

    No of Winning trades/No of Losing trades = ?

    Total Win$/Loss$ = ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. yep. all that included.

    This is how i structure my excel sheet:

    Stock Bought
    Date Bought
    Qty
    Buy Price
    Buy Commission
    Total Investment
    Sell Price
    Price Sold
    Sell Commission
    Net Price Sold
    Profit/Loss
    % Gain/Loss
    Dividend Earned


    yep :)

    may I know why you are interested in this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That are just transaction records. What about performance indicators? How you measure your trading success?

    Old man got too many spare time and kay poh a bit. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Createwealth 8888,

    Hmm yea good point, I should add number of winning trades/ losing trades to my list. WHat other performance indicators do you suggest? Total profit/Total turnover?

    thanks for the advice, I seek to learn more from experienced traders like you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. 2) Total Win$/Loss$ = ?

    Chart these two indicators as line graph after each completed trade, then you will have an idea how you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Isaac,

    I got a word of advice for you: Don't think of the $300k and that you need to pay back. By constantly thinking of the $300k, you sometimes will get greedy to make money and that leads to unwanted losses. I experienced it myself so I would like to share. Just my 2 cents worth..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yup you're right. Thanks for the advice. It's better to take it slow and steady and not blindly putting money on every penny hoping it's gonna be a ten bagger.

    ReplyDelete