Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Banknotes & what I spent with my dividends

Had an interesting discussion on banknotes today. Went to raffles place today to change some money, some for myself and some for a family member.

In Europe, the 2 major currencies ( Euro + Pound) only issue relatively high value banknotes (i.e. starting from EUR5/GBP5) whereas in America, Brazil, China, Singapore, HK, Malaysia etc issue low denomination banknotes (e.g. US$1, RMB5, S$2, HK$10, RM1). It's pretty weird, for you'd probably end up with alot of change and loose coins when one visits Europe.

Some currencies are really weird however, like the US dollar. case in point:
Every denomination is of the same dimension and color. I wonder how their blind people know which is which. Imagine if you get mistaken and want to tip someone US$1, and end up tipping him US$100 because you thought it was US$1 :P

As for the pound, this is it...4 banknote denomination in circulation. the £50 note is huge... around the same size as our S$1000 note.




Some of my old/interesting Singapore notes. I wonder why Singapore doesn't introduce a bona fide S$20 note.


Some Chinese notes I have. The "yi jiao" is RMB 0.10. Sing dollar 0.2 cents.




Egyptian pound


I also received MIT + First REIT dividends. Used part of the dividends to buy a nice silk tie on offer :D



usual price $53, bought for $19 from G2000 :)

6 comments:

  1. MAS/BCCS ever issued SGD 20, but not popular so I think quite rare to find in circulation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool Isaac!

    Coins are less costly to "maintain" compared to notes by the authorities. For notes, there's a need to take back dirty and torn one to destroy and re-issue.

    That's why Singapore also replaced the 1 dollar notes with coins.

    I think my mum has the SGD 20.00 note. She collects the old Singapore notes for fun.

    Have a super fun and enjoyable new phase in your life! Don't just study OK? (You know what I mean)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Panzer,

    Hmm...I see. Never heard of it though, must have been before my time ;)

    Hi SMOL,

    Thanks for the well wishes :)
    You're right, coins need less maintenance, but I don't like, cuz my wallet has no coin compartment, lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Isaac,

    I wonder sometimes too what have I bought with the dividends I have received so far, if at all.

    Hard to remember what I spent my dividends on sometimes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi AK,

    we have to give ourselves a treat sometimes ;)

    ReplyDelete