Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Median Income of the different professions in Singapore part 1

Business Times and Straits Times had an article a few weeks back regarding this issue.

I can't find the original article online, but if anyone has a BT subscription could kindly help me find it.

According to the department of statistics, the gross median income by profession are:

First figure is basic and second figure is gross:
1. Managers (including MD and CEO) 6,000 / 6,300
2. Professional (including doctors/lawyers/fund managers) 4,000 / 4,300
3. Associate professional & technicans 2,600 / 2,987
4. Clerical support workers 1,850 / 2,001
5. Service & sales workers 1,320 / 1,788
6. Craftsmen & related trades workers 1,790 / 2,250
7. Plant & machine operators & assemblers 1,380 / 1,896
8. Cleaners, labourers & related workers 850 / 960


MD and CEO topped the pay ranking, with a median gross salary of $14,765 monthly. That is more than what doctors ($10,786) and lawyers ($8,750) were paid.

(kindly taken from Ben's post here at ValueBuddies)

I also took the liberty to go through the Ministry of Manpower's site to find information on Mean & Median Income by profession. Not easy to find... but it's here. Frustrating enough to find, but even more frustrating after seeing they only show a few professions.


On face value, the lower remunerated blue collar jobs seem quite accurate, i.e. gross median wages of S$1,000 to S$2,500. However, I find certain jobs remuneration to be quite questionable, e.g. Dentists' median wage of S$4,000. (really meh?)

Will continue in a further post if I can find that article. I don't want to shoot off unsubstantiated figures.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Isaac,

    At the price my Singapore dentist is charging me, over my dead body dentist median wage is SGD4,000! LOL!

    If real, all Dentists will convert to Doctors liao. Same profession (just different specialty), same prestige, cannot be Dentists will accept different rewards ;)

    In my fantasy world, if I can become a doctor, I will want to be plastic surgeon. Wait! Maybe no good. If everyday see beauty, wait no feeling/reaction how? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey SMOL,

    Yah lor! I also say! When I was a ginna, my braces expensive leh!

    The education bit is another reason why I find the remuneration is "off". Dental students in Singapore pay the same school fees as medical students (>S$20,000), for 4 years. I daresay dentistry requires more dexterity than your average physician (non-surgeon). S$4,000? sure or not?

    Haha! You are very much like a certain cboxer eibweN who keeps saying that he wants to be plastic surgeon! LOL.

    ReplyDelete